Join the swiftly growing international community of the friends and sponsors of the Ecole de Légèreté!
In these days of highly disputable training methods such as “low-deep-round” or “rollkur”, we take a clear stand: Horses should point their nose ahead – towards their future and not their past!
The central principle of the riding philosophy of Légèreté is the absolute respect of the horse. It thus excludes any use of force or coercive artificial aids, including side reins, draw reins, tightly closed nosebands – and any training methods that force the horse into unnatural positions.
The philosophy of Légèreté applies to all types of horse and all equestrian disciplines. It provides an efficient training plan with clear principles and schooling methods that fully respect the nature of the horse. Hence, it allows any seriously motivated rider access to high school equitation, even with a “perfectly ordinary” horse.
The association APPEL “Association pour la Promotion de l'Ecole de Légèreté” was founded to secure the success of the Ecole de Légèreté in the long term. Its aim is to spread the philosophy of Légèreté – for the welfare of horses throughout the world.
By providing funding and volunteer expertise, we support projects related to the Ecole de Légèreté. Together, we promote activities of our members all over the world in order to convincingly showcase the riding philosophy of Légèreté.
- You also believe in respect for the horse.
- You think it’s important that your training system
is based on sound, scientifically reliable knowledge
- You are firmly against using coercive gadgets.
- You want to take a clear position in the discussion
about Rollkur and other coercive training methods.
- You want to see harmonious presentations involving
horses that are expressive and enjoying their work
in equestrian centres around the world.
- You want to help preserve and promote the heritage
of classical riding.
- You want to make contact with like-minded
equestrians around the world.
- You want to bring your ideas and projects into the
Ecole de Légèreté.
- You want to support and encourage the publication
of books, DVDs and articles on the philosophy of
- You want to help, as part of an international
community, to spread the word about the philosophy
... then become a member of APPEL!
As a bonus, members of APPEL receive a 5% discount on spectator fees at all the teachers’ courses of the Ecole de Légèreté.