Philippe Karl’s Ecole de Légèreté
Philippe Karl, Ecuyer of the famous Cadre Noir de Saumur in France from 1985 to 1998, is today one of the leading figures in the Art of Classical Riding. An outspoken critic of coercive training methods, he offers any motivated rider a classical alternative based on understanding, competence and respect for the horse.
After leaving Saumur, Philippe Karl founded the Ecole de Légèreté (School of Lightness) in 2004 to share his philosophy and more than 40 years' experience with people who want to know how to school horses of all breeds with kindness and respect, even to the highest levels.
The Ecole de Légèreté is growing rapidly and now offers training courses in 10 countries around the world. Riding teachers can become licenced to teach the philosophy of Légèreté in Philippe Karl's name only after several years of training and passing a set of stringent practical and theoretical exams.
On this site, you will find:
- all the latest news and information about Philippe Karl and his Ecole de Légèreté
- dates of courses and clinics together with contact details of local organisers
- information for teachers on how to apply to join training courses of the school as a rider
You can also find:
- contact details of teachers near you who are already licenced
- details of trainee teachers currently working towards their exams
- information about APPEL, the sponsors' association for people who wish to support the work of the school
See for yourself!
Spectators are welcome at all courses and clinics of the Ecole de Légèreté – as long-term participants in the three-year basic training courses or on a day-to-day basis in advanced training clinics.